Horse racing is one of the most popular sports and gambling activities in France, where it has a long and rich tradition. The French horse racing system, also known as the filiere turf, is a complex and organized network of institutions, actors, and events that regulate and promote the sport. If you are interested in betting on horse racing in France, you need to understand how the filiere turf works and what are the best strategies to increase your chances of winning.
What is the filiere turf?
The filiere turf is the term used to describe the French horse racing system, which consists of four main components:
- The breeding sector, which is responsible for producing and selecting the horses that will compete in the races. The breeding sector includes stud farms, breeders, veterinarians, and geneticists.
- The training sector, which is responsible for preparing and improving the horses for the races. The training sector includes trainers, jockeys, drivers, grooms, and veterinarians.
- The racing sector, which is responsible for organizing and conducting the races. The racing sector includes racecourses, racing authorities, stewards, judges, and officials.
- The betting sector, which is responsible for generating and distributing the revenues from the bets on the races. The betting sector includes operators, such as PMU (Pari Mutuel Urbain), bookmakers, and online platforms.
The filiere turf is governed by a set of rules and regulations that ensure the fairness and integrity of the sport. The main authority that oversees the filiere turf is France Galop, which is in charge of flat racing and steeplechase racing. Another authority is Le Trot, which is in charge of harness racing and trotting racing.
What are the main components of the filiere turf?
The filiere turf has four main components that are interrelated and interdependent. Each component has its own role and function in the system. Here are some brief descriptions of each component:
- The breeding sector: This is where the horses are born and raised. The breeding sector aims to produce horses that have the potential to become champions in different types of races. The breeding sector uses various criteria to select and classify the horses, such as their breed, age, sex, pedigree, and performance.
- The training sector: This is where the horses are trained and improved. The training sector aims to prepare the horses for the races by enhancing their physical and mental abilities. The training sector uses various methods and techniques to train the horses, such as exercises, diets, treatments, equipment, and simulations.
- The racing sector: This is where the races are held and watched. The racing sector aims to organize and conduct the races by providing suitable conditions and facilities. The racing sector uses various categories and levels to divide the races, such as the type of race, the distance, the surface, the prize money, and the eligibility criteria.
- The betting sector: This is where the bets are placed and collected. The betting sector aims to generate and distribute the revenues from the bets by offering attractive options and incentives. The betting sector uses various types of bets to diversify the bets, such as tiercé, quarté, quinté, multi, simple, couplé, trio, etc.
What are the betting options in the filiere turf?
The filiere turf offers a wide range of betting options for different types of customers and preferences. Some of these options are:
- Tiercé: A bet that consists of picking the first three horses in the correct order or in any order.
- Quarté: A bet that consists of picking the first four horses in the correct order or in any order.
- Quinté: A bet that consists of picking the first five horses in the correct order or in any order.
- Multi: A bet that consists of picking four, five, six, or seven horses among the first four finishers in any order.
- Simple: A bet that consists of picking one horse to finish first or second.
- Couplé: A bet that consists of picking two horses to finish first or second in any order.
- Trio: A bet that consists of picking three horses to finish first or second or third in any order.
These are some of the most common betting options in the filiere turf. There are also other options that are more complex or specific. You can find more information about these options on PMU, Le Trot, or France Galop.
How to bet on horse racing in France?
Betting on horse racing in France can be fun and rewarding if you know how to do it properly. Here are some tips and strategies that can help you bet on horse racing in France:
- Do your research. Before you place your bets, you should do some research on the horses, the races, and the operators. You should check the history, the form, the statistics, and the ratings of the horses. You should also check the conditions, the schedule, and the rules of the races. You should also compare the odds, the fees, and the services of the operators.
- Choose your bets wisely. After you do your research, you should choose your bets according to your preference and budget. You should consider the type of bet, the amount of bet, and the risk of bet. You should also balance your bets between favorites and outsiders, and between single and multiple bets.
- Manage your money. When you bet on horse racing, you should have a clear and realistic budget that you can afford to lose. You should also have a plan on how to allocate and distribute your money among different bets and races. You should also keep track of your wins and losses, and adjust your strategy accordingly.
- Have fun responsibly. Betting on horse racing can be exciting and enjoyable, but it can also be addictive and harmful. You should always bet for fun and entertainment, not for profit or necessity. You should also be aware of the potential consequences of gambling addiction, such as financial problems, psychological issues, or social conflicts.
The filiere turf is a guide to the French horse racing system that consists of four main components: breeding, training, racing, and betting. The filiere turf works as a cycle that involves these components in producing and selecting horses; preparing and improving horses; organizing and conducting races; and generating and distributing revenues from bets on races. The filiere turf offers a wide range of betting options for different types of customers and preferences.